About this course
A theoretical and practical course that enables an understanding of shipboard organisation and operations, pilot ladders and means of access, cargo work, safety and seamanship, including knots, splicing and whipping and seizing.
What you'll learn
Shipboard organisation and operations
Shipboard organisation, parts of a vessel, deck equipment, lookout reporting, helm orders, anchoring and mooring arrangements.
Pilot ladders and means of access
Rigging a pilot ladder, means of access, and boarding arrangements.
Hatch covers, derricks and cranes, blocks and tackles, containers, and securing arrangements.
COSWOP, IMO safety signs, enclosed spaces, fire extinguishers, and lifeboat and liferaft launching.
Rope types and construction, knots, bends and hitches, rigging a bosun’s chair and stage, rope and wire splicing, whipping and seizing, parcelling, and serving.
At the end of your training you should have the knowledge to:
- Perform in a safe working environment on board ship
- Perform a range of seamanship tasks effectively
- And have a working knowledge of COWSP
You must be at least 17 years of age.
You must hold a valid ENG1 certificate.
You must hold at least one of the following:
- MCA-accepted Yachtmaster Offshore certificate and shorebased course
- Yacht rating with at least six months' sea service and a steering certificate or NWR certificate
- Fishing Class 2 CoC or the Seafish five day watchkeeping course for under 16.5m fishing certificates
- BML Tier 1 level 2 certificates; or
- Tug rating with at least six months' sea service (which may be in categorised water) and a steering certificate or a NWR certificate.
Note: before an EDH certificate can be issued, a minimum of six months' sea service in vessels of more than 15m is required.
Next available date
See main course description.
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course.
Online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure that you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.