About this course
This course is fully taught online through live lectures and is taught within UK time zones. Delegates will need a good internet connection and access to Microsoft Teams. If you wish to attend this course on campus, please see the campus delivery course page for booking information.
This online course provides students with awareness and understanding of the key human factors influencing effective resource management.
You will acquire and develop tools and practical skills to enhance your maritime resource management capability. This training is a prerequisite for a first certificate of competency (CoC).
What you'll learn
During the course you will develop the knowledge and skills to address:
- Situation and risk assessment: understand the influence of a situation and risk assessment in the principles and practice of decision making at an operational level.
- Situational awareness: how to acquire and maintain situational awareness and accidents and increasing safety margins.
- Communication: how to recognise and apply best practice in communication and be aware of barriers to communication and how these may adversely affect situational awareness.
- Shipboard training: to understand the aim of shipboard training, the principles of learning and methods of developing human potential.
- Culture: how to recognise and respond to cultural issues including cultural awareness and bias including national, organisational, departmental and personal cultural approaches.
- Team-working: to recognise team working models and conflict management style.
- Leadership and management: to recognise and demonstrate effective leadership behaviours.
- Workload management: understand the concept of task and workload management and be able to apply it. Recognising fatigue and stress in yourself and others and developing strategies for dealing with them.
Next available date
Students following an MNTB/MCA-approved programme are eligible to attend this course after their first seagoing phase. Students following the experienced seafarer route should meet the minimum seagoing service requirements for the issue of a first CoC.
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course.
Online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure that you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email email@example.com.