About this course
This course benefits all members of the deck department and is suitable for personnel serving on all types of vessels including large yachts.
It is designed to meet the bridge resource management requirements detailed in Table A-II/I of the 2010 Manila amendments to the STCW Convention and Code.
During the course you will have the opportunity to consider your role in the working environment while benefiting from a range of tools and techniques aimed at ensuring effective performance.
The course is company specific and is run on demand, requiring a minimum of six and up to a maximum of 12 students.
What you'll learn
- Situational awareness: How to acquire and maintain situational awareness and understand the factors that can result in its decline and its central role in reducing accidents and increasing safety margins.
- Communication: How to recognise and apply best practice in communication and be aware of barriers to communication and how these may adversely affect situational awareness. Recognition of interpersonal style and the appropriate development of assertiveness in a bridge environment.
- Culture: How to recognise and respond to cultural issues, covering cultural awareness and bias including national, organisational, departmental and personal cultural approaches.
- Leadership and teamwork: How to identify appropriate leadership styles and effective team working; situational leadership and the understanding of team dynamics.
- Workload: How to understand where your role fits in the shipboard environment and how to manage the priorities that arise from it. Recognising stressors, how stress and fatigue may affect you and your colleagues and identifying coping mechanisms.
Next available date
You must have accrued six months' sea time.
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course.
Online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure that you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email email@example.com.
- 023 8201 5004
Normal office hours are (UK time):08.30 - 17.00 Monday to Thursday
08.30 - 16.30 Friday