About this course
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All students attending our courses must take a Covid-19 test before starting their training. We have set up our own testing centre to facilitate this – further details will be provided before the start of the course.
This course is suitable for marine engineering officers, electrical or electro-technical officers, engineer surveyors and marine superintendents.
The training will provide you with the essential knowledge of high voltage (HV) installations to meet the knowledge, understanding and proficiency requirements as set out in STCW 2010 Tables A-III/2 and A-III/6 for electrical, electronic and control systems at the management level.
What you'll learn
The course consists of a blend of classroom and practical training to enable you to achieve the following outcomes:
- Management of HV operations on board a ship, including familiarisation with HV safety rules, procedures and legislation, knowledge of electrical hazards, and completion of safety records and documentation.
- Understanding the HV system and the maintenance of distribution capability, including operational and safety features, function of protection devices, HV switch room arrangements, analysing the protection of marine distribution systems and practical maintenance.
- Identification of faults within an HV system and reconfiguration of the system to maintain electrical supply, including identification of fault levels and conditions, and compiling and implementing a switching plan to isolate a high voltage distribution fault.
Please see MSN 1861(M) for further information on requirements for revalidation of Certificates of Competency (COCs).
- Proof of prior electrical or electro-technical experience in a shipboard environment.
- Proof of approved sea time as EOOW of at least 12 months.
- Evidence of being part of an initial electro-technical training programme.
Next available date
See main course description.
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course.
Online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure that you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email email@example.com.