About this course
This course is part of the training for deck and engineering officers who wish to qualify for a Certificate of Competency and crew who are designated to control fire fighting operations.
It covers fire fighting procedures at sea and in port with emphasis on organisation, tactics and effective command, including liaison with shore-based fire fighters. It also covers topics such as ventilation control, hazards involving dangerous goods and the effects of fire fighting water on ship stability.
A variety of practical exercises involving fighting fires of different types and intensity are included. Students are assessed on their ability to successfully control fire fighting operations.
What you'll learn
At the end of your training you should:
- understand the principles involved in controlling fire fighting operations on board a vessel,
- be able to control the fire fighting operations on board ship,
- be able to organise and train fire parties,
- be able to inspect and service fire detection and extinguishing systems and equipment
- be able to investigate and compile reports on incidents involving fire, and
- know how to carry out fire fighting operations on board tankers (oil, chemical, liquefied gas).
NOTE: Delegates undergoing fire fighting training will be required to complete and sign a confidential medical declaration to make us aware of any health problems, disabilities or injuries that we may need to consider while they’re attending this physically demanding course. It is therefore essential that delegates feel healthy and are physically fit to undertake such training.
Training in Tanker Fire Fighting
This course also fulfils the competence to 'carry out fire fighting operations' set out in tables A-V/1-1-1 and A-V/1-2-1 of the STCW Convention Code 1978, and a separate certificate for Training in Tanker Fire Fighting is awarded accordingly. Note: you must be in possession of this certificate if you attend the basic and advanced tanker cargo operations courses.
You must hold any one of the following:
- STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting certificate
- MNTB Stage One Fire Fighting course
- Royal Navy Fire Fighting course
Fire Courses Criteria 1st Edition - May 2013 MNTB refer.
Please note: current OPITO training does not meet the requirements for these prerequisites.
Next available date
See main course description.
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course.
Online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure that you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.