About this course
Designed for new entrants to the offshore oil and gas industry, this course focuses on areas of offshore activity using compressed air emergency breathing systems (CA-EBS). Most offshore oil and gas installations, wind farm and vessel operators require their employees, contractors and, in some cases, even visitors to undertake this training prior to travelling offshore.
The training covers the requirements for areas of offshore activities where compressed air emergency breathing systems (CA-EBS) are in use, and covers the underpinning knowledge of the BOSIET (with CA-EBS) programme online. The training program is fully approved by OPITO, with supporting certification (see below) and accreditation to the Vantage database upon successful completion of formal assessment against all learning outcomes at our training centre.
Please note: This course does NOT include Escape Chute Training (ECT) as is required in the Norwegian Sector. For delegates requiring this training we recommend you attend our three-day Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training with CA-EBS and Escape Chute Training.
What you'll learn
The course consists of two elements:
The Digital Delivery of Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training with CA-EBS online programme provides delegates with the underpinning theoretical knowledge and awareness of the hazards encountered during travel to offshore installations and the emergency procedures to be followed in the event of an offshore incident. The online training is based on four theory modules:
- Safety Induction
- Helicopter Safety and Escape
- Sea Survival and First Aid
- Fire Fighting and Self Rescue
Key points of note regarding the online training:
- Delegates are required to book the BOSIET (with CA-EBS) practical training and assessment day before they can be registered by Solent University with OPITO for the online delivery.
- Once registered with OPITO for online training, delegates receive an automated email login to allow completion of the online modules.
- We recommend that delegates allow at least seven days to complete the online course prior to the date of the practical training/assessment.
- On successful completion of the online training, delegates receive an automated e-mail confirmation. This is NOT a course completion certificate but must be brought on the practical day to permit undertaking of the practical training.
- Delegates must complete all elements contained in the BOSIET with CA-EBS online programme prior to attending the practical training programme. Practical training must be completed within 90 days of completion of the online elements and must be undertaken with the training provider who registered the delegate for online training.
Practical Exercises and Assessment (one day)
The Digital Delivery of Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training with CA-EBS Practical Assessment provides delegates the opportunity to observe practical demonstrations for all training exercises, and then practice and demonstrate those exercises themselves. This will equip delegates with the knowledge, skills and confidence to respond appropriately in the event of an offshore emergency and to enhance their survivability through proper use of emergency equipment and procedures. The practical training is based on four modules:
- Safety Induction Knowledge Test (Question Paper)
- Helicopter Safety and Escape - including HUET (Helicopter Underwater Escape Training) with additional CA-EBS Training (In-Water).
- Sea Survival and First Aid – TEMPSC practical, pool survival practical exercises, first aid practical.
- Fire Fighting and Self Rescue – including extinguisher and smoke hood practical exercises.
Delegates will be assessed against the practical learning outcomes using direct observation and oral and/or written questions as appropriate. On successful completion of the practical elements, delegates will receive a full Digital BOSIET with CA-EBS certificate. Certification is valid for four years from the date of issue. This training is developed by OPITO and acceptable under the Mutual Recognition of Basic and Refresher Safety and Emergency Preparedness Training agreement between Oil and Gas UK, Norsk olje og gass (Norway), olie gas danmark (Denmark) and NOGEPA (Netherlands).
The mutual recognition document has been in effect since November 2007 and was revised in September 2014 to continue harmonising offshore survival training standards within sectors of the European North Sea. The course will satisfy the offshore survival training requirements for personnel intending to work in European sectors requiring compressed air emergency breathing systems (CA-EBS). For European sectors not using CA-EBS please refer to the mutual recognition document to determine course applicability. See our Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training with Escape Chute Training course if you require emergency breathing system training (currently used in many areas of offshore activity outside UK and Dutch North Sea sectors).
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All students attending our courses must take a Covid-19 test before starting their training. We have set up our own testing centre to facilitate this – further details will be provided before the start of the course.
Delegates must be able to prove that they have completed all elements contained in the BOSIET (with CA-EBS) online programme at the point of practical course attendance. As per OPITO standards, this must have been completed within the previous 90 days. Delegates will NOT be able to start the practical training if they have not successfully completed all four online training modules.
OPITO require delegates to participate in CA-EBS In Water Training (IWT) exercises. As a result, delegates undertaking OPITO BOSIET/HUET/FOET with CAEBS courses will have to provide both the following at the point of enrolment:
1. Valid OGUK Medical/or valid offshore medical issued by a body outside of the UK (recognised as equivalent to the OGUK). Other medical certificates recognised by the Diving at Work Regulations 1997 exemption DWR/1 of 2018 as being equivalent to an Oil and Gas UK Offshore medical certificate are:
- Netherlands Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Association Medical
- Norwegian Directorate of Health (Petroleum Sector medical)
2. A ‘Fit’ or ‘Unfit’ to undertake shallow water CA-EBS training certificate issued by a registered OGUK examiner. This should have been done within the lifespan of the current offshore medical.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: If you possess a valid and current UK ENG1 Seafarers Medical (or a recognised equivalent seafarers medical, as listed in MSN1815) or HSE certificate of medical fitness provided by an Approved Medical Examiner of Diving (AMED) you will not be required to undertake 1) and 2) above, as you have already met the requirements of the Diving at Work Regulations 1997. Delegates must bring their ENG 1 (or equivalent seafarers medical) or HSE dive medical (as above) to course enrolment on day one. For guidance regarding HSE approved diving medicals, please refer to the HSE website.
Next available date
See main course description
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course.
Online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure that you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.