About this course
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All students attending our courses must take a Covid-19 test before starting their training. We have set up our own testing centre to facilitate this – further details will be provided before the start of the course.
This course is designed for new entrants to the offshore oil and gas industry in the areas of offshore activity using emergency breathing systems (EBS). Most offshore oil and gas installations, wind farm and vessel operators require their employees, contractors and, in some cases, even visitors to undertake this training prior to travelling offshore.
The training covers the requirements for the areas of offshore activities where EBS are in use. The inclusive escape chute training (ECT) meets mandatory or company-specific training requirements with this safety equipment. The combined training programme is fully approved by OPITO with supporting certification (see below) and both accredited to the Vantage database upon successful completion.
Please note: This course is not suitable for offshore workers intending to travel in the UK or Dutch sectors where compressed air emergency breathing system (CAEBS) training is a mandatory requirement. See our CAEBS courses for more information:
Certificate extension policy
This process has supported industry and the workforce during these challenging times. To date, more than 39,000 certificates have been extended under the policy.
OPITO's view is that it is vital the skills and competence of the workforce is maintained through regular training. Additionally, centres have now reopened in the majority of regions with physical distancing measures in place in training centres operating under national, regional and local government guidelines.
Due to the changing circumstances globally, OPITO has taken the decision to uphold the phase-out strategy, but to extend the date to 1 May 2021.
Certificate extension process
In March 2020, OPITO implemented a certificate extension process to support those impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. This process was originally scheduled to draw to a close on 1 May 2021. However, as situations continue to evolve in certain regions, OPITO has decided to continue to offer support for submitted certificate extensions - this is assuming they continue to be submitted in line with the exceptional eligibility criteria detailed in the current policy. The process, therefore, did not cease on 1 May 2021 and advanced warning of support being withdrawn will be communicated in due course and when suitable. More information can be found here.
What you'll learn
The course consists of two OPITO-approved training programmes:
Basic Offshore Safety Induction & Emergency Training (BOSIET) - based on four modules:
- safety induction,
- sea survival (including first aid),
- fire fighting and self-rescue, and
- helicopter safety and escape including HUET (helicopter underwater escape training) with EBS.
This training provides students with a basic understanding and awareness of the hazards encountered during travel to offshore installations and the emergency procedures to be followed in the event of an offshore incident. Certification is valid for four years from the date of issue.
Escape Chute Training - introduces both theoretical knowledge and practical exercises in the safe use of escape chutes increasingly used on offshore installations and vessels. Certification is valid for four years from the date of issue.
Escape chute training is an additional course developed by OPITO and is acceptable under the Mutual Recognition of Basic and Refresher Safety and Emergency Preparedness Training agreement between Oil & Gas UK, Norsk olje og gass (Norway), Olie Gas Danmark (Denmark) and NOGEPA (Netherlands).
The Mutual Recognition document has been in effect since November 2007 and was revised in September 2014 to continue harmonising offshore survival training standards within sectors of the European North Sea. This course satisfies the offshore survival training requirements for personnel intending to work in these European sectors not requiring compressed air emergency breathing systems (CAEBS).
You will be eligible to receive a discounted course fee if you book a MIST (Minimum Industry Safety Training) course with either BOSIET with Escape Chute Training or BOSIET with CAEBS and Escape Chute Training.
Covid-19 control measures
Please note, the information below may change without notice and in response to any updated UK Government guidance, as applicable.
- Covid-19 health declaration at start of course and on every subsequent day of course (in addition to the standard short course medical declaration).
- 50% class reduction to facilitate social distancing.
- All touch surfaces cleaned throughout the day and deep clean of all facilities before start of teaching. Minibus touch surfaces cleaned before use.
- Hand sanitiser stations (gel - min alcohol content 70%) provided in class, throughout buildings in the minibuses and at the pool.
- One in one out policy for the toilets.
- Individual numbered desks in class and staff wear RPE and gloves for enrolment (students asked to stand clear at that time). No multi-usage of teaching spaces on any one teaching day by differing class groups.
- Modified lesson plans to ensure learning outcomes met with verbal interaction from own desk.
- Staff only handle classroom equipment and props.
- Bagged meals and bottled water provided for students to consume at their own desk/outside
- For practical sessions and minibus transport, masks are provided where social distancing is impractical or difficult to achieve. Delegates are spread between the buses and will be asked to sit in their own, distanced, designated seat for both the outwards and return journeys.
- Staggered changing regime to minimise numbers in changing facility.
- Helicopter underwater escape training (HUET) module limited to two delegates (plus instructor) occupancy at any one time.
- Time spent inside the HUET kept to a minimum, with all exercise briefing carried out using social distancing on poolside.
- Liferaft briefings demonstrated by staff with delegates observing (with social distancing) from poolside (no gathering in liferaft).
- Splash guards kept on for liferaft boarding. Once on board raft, delegates climb straight out.
- All equipment goes through a very thorough, audited, cleaning regime after use (as has always been the case).
- Under OPITO guidance, delegates will be required to do compression only CPR during the first aid module – rescue breaths will be verbal confirmation only. Instructors will still demonstrate full CPR with rescue breaths.
Next available date
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course.
Online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure that you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.